6 Best Crib Mattress for Safe Sleep
If you are an expecting parent, have you already curated your list for your baby’s must-haves? If you already did, then you know that a crib with a perfect mattress is one of the priorities on the list. Above anything else, your baby should be safe and comfortable at night. Being a first-time parent will give you feelings of mixed emotions. You are excited to welcome the new addition to your family, and you are also nervous about the upcoming responsibility. Besides this, there are also plenty of things to think about when designing and setting up your baby’s nursery and establishing a safe and cozy environment. Choosing the best crib mattress is crucial since your baby will be spending most of his/her time lying down in the crib. As a parent, you want to purchase a premium-grade mattress that will give you peace of mind when your little one is asleep.
The 6 Best Crib Hand
Here are the top crib mattresses to invest in for your baby:
The state of the art breathe-thru technology of this mattress enables air to flow freely and is proven and tested to decrease the risk of CO2 rebreathing and suffocation, even if your child rolls over during his/her sleep.
- Washable and long-lasting – specifically designed for toddlers and infants; 100% washable.
- Comfort – temperature regulating to combat overheating, prevent sweaty backs and enhance sleep quality.
- Pediatrician approved – winner of various awards; hypoallergenic; recommended by pediatricians for your baby’s safety, health, and development.
- Greenguard Gold certified – doesn’t have any latex, springs, allergens, or foam; 100% recyclable; lowest VOCs.
- Made in the USA
The Milliard Foam Crib Mattress delivers the best mixture of support and comfort, encouraging a healthier and more peaceful sleep for your baby. He/she will sleep better with limited tossing and turning in the crib, thanks to the unique and premium quality of this foam mattress. It is made of 4.75″ thick, luxurious, high-quality foam plus a removable water-resistant cover.
- The Milliard Crib Mattress utilizes a one-of-a-kind combination of foam to produce the best mixture of comfort and firmness that is intended for newborns and toddlers.
- Bid goodbye to uneasy spring mattresses and low-quality synthetic blends.
- The encasement backside is from waterproof materials with zero chemicals. The supported mattress encasement is water-resistant on the sides and top, yet it enables heat and air to circulate on the bottom.
- Milliard foam displaces all with its high-density construction that consistently retains its shape.
- Milliard Foam is CertiPUR-US certified; measures: 132cm x 70cm x 12cm | 52″ x 27.5″ x 4.75″
Dream On Me 25C-GR, 3″ Foam mattress suits the majority of Graco play yard measuring 37.5 inches long by 25.5 inches wide and 3 inches high. This remarkable mattress sets up a snug environment for playing. The bed also sports a waterproof bacterial cover that is easy to clean. Using water and mild soap, you can instantly clean the crib mattress cover in just one swipe. Moreover, it also helps prevent the formation of odor, mildew, and mold.
- Guarantees that no mold, odor, or mildew will accumulate.
- Suitable for children that are six months and older.
- Flip and rotate every 2-3 months
- Made in the USA
- Specifically made to fit at the bottom of a Play Yard surface comfortably.
- Made of vinyl and foam; has reinforced, water-resistant cover that features lock-stitch venting Hypoallergenic foam insulating layers
- Hypoallergenic foam insulating layers; quick and easy to clean using a mild soap and warm water
- Dimensions: 25.5″x 37.5″x 3″
- A waterproof bacterial cover that wipes clean in just one swipe
- Follows the standards of 16-CFR 1633
- Ships in Certified Easy to Open Packaging
Safety 1st Heavenly Dreams White Crib Mattress is water-resistant, lightweight, and firm. It has a vinyl sleeping surface that’s hypoallergenic, and free from lead and phthalates. The heavy-duty cover is tear-, odor-, and stain-proof. Its high-density thermos-bonded fiber core offers firm and long-term support. Perfectly fits all standard toddler beds and cribs. It also follows the flammability standard 16 CFR 1633 without using potentially dangerous substances because Safety first treats your child’s safety as their primary priority.
- High-density Thermo bonded fiber core offers firm and consistent crib support. 12 cm thickness extra firm mattress that comes with Thermo-Bonded Polyester Filling.
- It has a hypoallergenic sleeping surface that is free from lead and phthalates. The exterior cover is from 100% Vinyl laminated with Polypropylene.
- Tear-proof protection that also prevents odors and stains from accumulating; easy to clean water-resistant cover. And yes, there is a need for water resistant core mattress or crib sheet.
- Lightweight and suits all standard toddler beds and cribs; optimum weight limit is 22.6 kg
- Follows the Federal flammability standard 16 CFR 1633 without using potentially dangerous substances. This will help keep the crib safe from fires and reduce the risk of burning without adding flame retardants.
Your baby’s sleep is as essential as their development, as well as your sanity, that’s why you should invest in only the best crib mattress. The Milliard Dual Comfort Mattress is not only made for your newborn, but it is also made for when he/she grows up as an infant and toddler. This 2-stage crib is comfortable now, until the end, which is perfect since babies seem to grow up faster. The Dual Comfort Mattress is manufactured by Millard to address your sleep needs when it comes to your kid’s safety and comfort for those long-lasting years of crib support.
- The delicate, supportive layer of foam will rock your newborn snugly, and the adjusting memory foam layer will encourage appropriate posture in your toddler’s neck and back for better sleep.
- The Dual Comfort baby mattress utilizes only CertiPUR-US certified polyurethane foam to achieve that high-end feel and trouble-free sleeping time for your young ones. It is safe, delicate, and springless! Parents will love this breathable and softer mattress for infants and kids.
- Changing support has never been this easy! Simply get the cotton cover from the baby mattress and flip it over to make a memory foam toddler mattress.
- The anti-slip protection uses 100% natural cotton matter that features a water-resistant interior layer that’s liquid-proof, hypoallergenic, and stable.
Graco Premium Foam Crib ships compressed in an easy-to-carry and lightweight box for extreme convenience; for maximum performance, unravel the mattress after two weeks of purchase to enable appropriate expansion in a room temperature setting. The soft exterior cover of the bed is water-proof, hand-washable, and removable with the zipper. To clean, hand wash using mild soap and cold water. Hang dry to maintain your baby’ sleeping surface fresh, clean, and comfortable.
- Perfect firmness for your baby’s safety and comfort; the mattress is from a premium-grade, breathable foam to optimize airflow.
- Greenguard Gold certified; 100% free of lead, phthalates, and mercury; and follows all applicable federal flammability standards
- Backed up with six years limited warranty
- Specifically designed to fit any standard full-size toddler bed and crib; measures length (132.08 cm) x width (70.1 cm) x height (up to 12.7 cm); and weighs (3.18 kg)
- Made of polyurethane foam
- The best crib mattress ships in an easy-to-carry and lightweight box; easy to unbox; and expands on its own
Features to Consider in Good Crib Mattresses
Purchasing a crib mattress is far more complicated than selecting the color or them of your baby’s nursery. There are a lot of options that you can choose from, and this could confuse and overwhelm you. Here are the essential factors that you should bear in mind when buying a crib mattress.
If you are purchasing a mattress for your infant, see to it that you choose a specially made crib mattress for babies. The most significant difference would be the firmness of the bed. Even if you find a firm mattress to be uncomfortable for a grown-up to sleep on, it is essential to young ones. Investing in a firm mattress will combat SIDS among babies, which might be the top concerns of parents who are expecting a baby. It also aids your baby to develop his strength and muscles well. A mattress for a toddler can have a much softer surface.
If you are a parent who’s seeking a long-lasting option for your little one, you can choose a mattress that has a dual purpose. These types of beds have numerous designs on every side. The first side of the mattress is firm enough for a younger baby or newborn, and the second side is soft enough for future use when the baby grows older.
The mattress you purchase mustn’t be too tiny for the baby’s crib. Generally, there are various crib sizes and shapes, and you should buy the crib first. With this, you’ll be able to measure the size of the cot and purchase a perfectly-fitted mattress. Make sure you always abide by the two-finger rule, where there are no more than two fingers that fit between the bed and mattress. This fit prevents your child from getting trapped between the two layers and accidentally suffocate.
The majority of parents in today’s generation are starting to choose organic mattresses, and medical experts agree that it is a great option. After the manufacturing procedure, toxic substances stay on the bed. These contents might worsen any medical complications your baby has asthma. With an organic mattress, you can be confident that your baby is in a safe and natural environment.
Odor, bacteria, and mold, all of these will branch out from a wet mattress. A mattress vent prevents moisture accumulation and keeps your bed safe and hygienic at all times. It also enables better breathability in case your child accidentally rolls over to a face-down post on the mattress.
Types of Mattresses
Various kinds of mattresses are for your toddler or newborn. These include:
- Dual mattress
- Memory foam mattress
The mattress that you choose will vary depending on your requirements. If you want a firm mattress, innerspring is an excellent choice, but if you want a comfortable surface for your toddler, the memory foam mattress sounds excellent.
Different Types of Crib Mattresses
Coil crib mattresses have metal coils, so they remain firm. Once a bed is consistently firm, it decreases the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome and suffocation since they don’t adapt to the child’s body. Compared to a foam mattress, coil crib mattresses are more expensive, yet they usually deliver more layers of comfort and support.
Foam crib mattress
Foam crib mattresses are lightweight and airy. They are for toddlers who don’t need the firm mattress design that they have outgrown. A foam mattress should only be utilized for toddlers since they heighten the risk of suffocation if the mattress conforms to the body and head of the baby. Foam crib mattresses are organic materials that are more economically-priced compared to other types of mattresses.
Double-sided crib mattresses are the value-priced mattress for your baby since you can utilize it during the infant and toddler growth period. The first side is firm with high-density foam or coils and additional support for your child during infancy. When your child turns a little older, you can flip the mattress to access that cushion-like sensation built for their development and age.
What does a mom need in a baby crib mattress?
When you are expecting a baby, looking for a safe and comfortable mattress can be pretty tough. But before you head towards the bedding aisle at the mall, make sure you take a look at these useful purchasing tips on selecting a crib mattress. The best crib mattress addresses your baby’s comfort and safety in mind. Moreover, expect that crib mattresses can be costly, with a price that starts at $300 or higher. However, if you are on a tight budget and wanted to find cost-efficient options, you won’t find any trouble finding one on the market.
What is a crib hand?
A crib hand provides the best safety for your baby. Specifically, it has to be tough, made of solid materials, and premium-quality, but also very gentle to the skin of your baby and his/her sensitive touch.
How to find the best baby mattress?
You’ll find that purchasing a mattress is a lot complicated than you first anticipated it. It is trickier than selecting the color scheme or theme for the nursery of your child. There is a massive range of options that you can choose from, and this could confuse the part of expecting parents. Here’s a quick rundown of the essential factors that you need to keep in mind when you are shopping for a baby bed with dual firmness.
If you are purchasing a baby mattress for your soon-to-be child, you need to guarantee that you choose a version for babies. Above anything else, the most significant difference would be the firmness of the baby mattress. But, even if it is a firm mattress and you might think that it would be uncomfortable for your little one, it isn’t. This firmness is essential for babies. Moreover, a firm mattress will also protect your baby from developing SIDS, which is one of the most alarming concerns among parents that are expecting a newborn. A crib mattress best works in the development of your baby’s strength and muscles. You’ll notice that if you compare the best toddler mattress with a toddler bed, the latter is much softer and delicate.
If you are one of those parents who are searching for an option that will last for a long time, then you should invest in a matter that has a dual purpose or dual firmness. These are the models that have varying designs on both sides. On one side of the mattress, you’ll notice a firm texture for your newborn or younger child. On the other hand, the surface will be a lot softer, which is perfect if your child is in his/her toddler stage.
No matter how comfortable and high-quality the mattress that you’ve purchased, if it won’t fit your baby’s crib, it is still useless. Take note that cribs vary in shapes and sizes. It is highly advisable that before you shop for a baby mattress, purchase your crib beforehand. With this, you’ll be able to estimate the appropriate size of the bed that you should buy. Familiar with the two-finger rule? According to this, the perfect sleeping set up for your baby is a space that you can’t fit more than two fingers in between the layer of cot and mattress. The rule prevents suffocation if your baby accidentally gets stuck between the sheets.
Presently, more and more parents are opting for mattresses that are from organic materials, and of course, health experts agree that it is the best option there is. Typically, during the manufacturing procedure, there are residues of harmful chemicals that stick to the mattress. These substances have a possibility of worsening the underlying medical complication of your little one. These complications include asthma and others. When you opt for organic mattresses, you can be sure that your infant is in a natural and safe sleeping area.
If your mattress usually gets wet, it can create an area for odor, bacteria, and mold to accumulate. It is crucial to choose a bed with vents since they stop moisture from increasing, resulting in a hygienic and clean sleeping surface for your infant or kid. Moreover, it also prevents suffocation if your child rolls over and ends up in a face-down position since it is completely breathable.
Growing older: the best infant toddler mattress
The top-rated infant toddler crib mattresses have these qualities:
- Standards and certification
A proper crib mattress has an approved certification, and this is one thing that you should note. However, are you aware of what standards and certifications are?
- Oeko-Tex Standard 100 certification – it is a worldwide uniform certification. Once you spot this certification on a mattress, you can instantly tell that it doesn’t have any heavy metals, nor any flame retardants.
- GREENGUARD Environmental Institute – it is an institution that facilitates the testing of mattresses for toxic emissions.
- GOTS – the Global Organic Textile Standard certified mattress brands that made from at least 70% of organic fibers.
- Prevents SIDS
Sudden infant death syndrome or SIDS is an unexpected medical complication, especially among first-time parents. It is usually considered as SIDS if a baby that’s younger than one year old dies suddenly during sleep without any signs or any particular reason. It pays to know that until today, SIDS is still a mystery, and it doesn’t have any treatment or cure. But, if you are a conscious parent, you can ensure your baby’s sleeping environment, like his crib, is protected at all times to ward off the possibility of accidents during his/her sleep. Here are a few safety measures that you can try:
Sleeping position: it is highly-advisable that your baby should sleep on his/her back during the first six months. Doing this will stop them from suffering from accidental suffocation because they were unable to lift themselves face up. Your baby should remain on his/her back until 12 months old. But expect that this could be a little tricky once they can move around.
Delicate toys: Though these soft and cuddly toys are cute, you shouldn’t let them stay inside the cot of your baby if he/she is still younger than one year. Even after a year, it is still highly advised to refrain from placing the soft toys within the sleeping space of your baby because synthetic materials in soft toys can lead to suffocation.
Side-by-side: Based on research, allowing your baby to sleep in the same room as yours during the first few months can potentially stop SIDS. You can place the crib right next to your bed, so it would be easier for you to monitor your child’s breathing and you can quickly put your baby to sleep at night.
Monitors: Having an infant monitor is a significant investment, especially those that come with a breathing pad. If your baby stops breathing, you can instantly detect it since a monitor alarm will loudly beep to let you know.
Heavy blankets: Even if duvets and heavy blankets work best in keeping your older kids warm and comfortable, and improves their sleep, it is better to use muslin blankets and lightweight cotton to cover your infants. These natural materials help prevent suffocation.
Smoke-free environment: Smoking pre- and post-pregnancy can cause SIDS, while second-hand smoking can heighten the risk of your newborn from acquiring lung-related diseases like asthma.
What is an organic baby mattress?
If you are conscious about the harmful fabrics, chemicals, and materials used inside your baby’s mattress, an organic or natural mattress is the best option you’ve got. There are a lot of hazardous materials utilized in making a mattress, and they could potentially cause or worsen health complications among newborns, infants, and toddlers.
- Chemicals that create carbon emissions
It’s alarming to think that your child will be exposed to toxic while sleeping. That’s why the obvious and best choice is an organic, environmentally-friendly, and natural baby mattress. Unfortunately, there are zero legal standards for this statement, making it difficult to choose the best mattress on the market.
The mattress can be organic because some of its parts comply with the guidelines, but not necessarily the entire bed. There are organic mattresses that have 80% plastic cover. So, when you buy a mattress, don’t just read the label. Shoot some questions like what are the other mattress materials. Opt for safer fabric options like:
- Plant-based foam
- Natural latex
Brand New or Second Hand Mattress: Which is which?
Purchasing essentials for your newborn is an expensive venture. Opting for pre-loved products can be an incredible way to cut down on spending. But, some materials are better to purchase as brand new, and one of them is a crib mattress. Here are a few benefits of buying a brand new mattress:
Cleanliness and hygiene: Bodily fluids and any other liquids like milk are more likely to leave a statin on the crib mattress. And most of the time, cleaning the bed isn’t enough and doesn’t guarantee that you’ll altogether remove the accumulated mold and other bacteria inside the mattress.
Quality: Purchasing a second-hand mattress from a seller that you barely know might get you an item with a phony brand or label. On the other hand, purchasing the latest one is the safest way to see what you’re getting.
Long-lasting: When buying a second-hand mattress, you won’t be able to know how long the past owner has been using it. But when you buy a brand new mattress, you will precisely know how long your mattress will last for your young one.
Firmness: Over time, the durability of a crib mattress will decrease, which makes it unsafe to use for your newborn. Purchasing a new one will allow you to enjoy your money’s worth since you are confident that you are getting a high-quality mattress.
Mattress Covers: Some mattresses already has a built-in mattress cover. The majority of these covers are not removable, which makes them harder to properly clean. A water-resistant bed is better as a cover to stop liquids from being absorbed by the mattress.
Moreover, a removable cover will also make washing and cleaning easier. If you like a cotton cover, you can choose to place a water-resistant mattress pad between the mattress and bed cover as a way to protect your mattress.
Next step: Best Toddler Mattress
All parents can agree that the famous phrase “sleeping like a baby” is far from reality, most notably when your little one starts to achieve a milestone or when the initial signal of teething begins. But if you are fortunate enough and you have a sleeping baby in a crib, then you still want to put your mind at ease by ensuring that your baby is protected and safe. Begin this enthralling venture of parenthood by choosing a high-quality baby mattress for your little one.
Effective Care Tips when Purchasing the Ideal Baby Mattress
When you have the perfect baby mattress, your child can have a restful sleep without any risk of inhaling harmful chemicals and other concerns. You’ll be confident that your baby will get the rest that he/she deserves with the correct firm mattress that is highly-advisable for healthy bone development. Here are several proper care tips that you might find useful:
- Air out the mattress: As soon as you receive your baby’s bed, air it out for about two days before you start using it. Airing out the mattress eliminates the familiar scent that is associated with newly-purchased mattress. It also releases other potentially dangerous VOCs trapped inside the bed during the packaging process.
- Clean up any mess right away: accidents and spills are generally the culprits for sanitary problems if you forget to clean them up properly. Some spills can lead to the accumulation of hazardous chemicals and harmful toxins that you don’t want your little one to inhale. Check out the mattress care tips on how to clean stains without damaging the mattress. Don’t forget to use a mattress pad or cover, as well.
- Periodically clean the mattress: to eliminate accumulated dust and dirt, vacuum the mattress regularly. You might also want to wipe away stains and rinse the areas rigidly. Disinfect the bed daily and make time to air it out.
- Periodically rotate the mattress: To prevent one side from wearing off or sinking, make it a habit to turn your bed to the other side. You can switch it once every two weeks.
For parents, their baby’s security is their main priority. That’s why when buying the best crib mattress, always think about your child’s needs. You can start by looking for recommendations and checking out the complete selection of best selling baby mattresses that excels in the industry.